Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Hang on to your hat!

Windy today. We heard on radio that flights are delayed in Chicago today due to the wind. Hopefully it will huff and puff itself out today. Tomorrow night we travel to Chicago to catch our flight. I am sure that Ohare is filled with passengers waiting for the daily flight to China. I hope they do not have to wait long. What a disappointment it must be for them.
 All this wind got me thinking about truly American phrases about wind. Bag of wind, catch wind of, gone with the wind, throw caution to the wind, something in the wind, take the wind out of your sails,blowing in the wind. There are many more. I think of one my grandmother used to say, "between wind and water". That just means, we're in a bit of a situation. OR  As Bette Davis said in one of her  movies, "Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy night!" 
Today is the day we take things out of our bags and rethink whether we really need this or that. As my Irish ancestors said, "May the road rise to meet you and may the wind be at your back" That is my hope for all of us today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment